I have seen proof today that Mexico City has some very charming areas. This afternoon we went to the Anthropology Museum, and it was pretty awesome. It starts with the human ancestors, like Australopithecus afarensis (yes, I know my anthropology), and continues through the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs (Mexicas). It was pretty cool to see lots of rocks. Really. The indigenous Mexicans liked their rocks. And they liked to turn their rocks into things. Like this:
| From La Ciudad de México |
Yes. That is THE Aztec calendar stone. Although, it's actually a sun stone. And it's from the Mexicanos, who are descendants of the Aztecs. But I digress. Cause really the cool part is that I saw it. With my own eyes. Amazing.
I will say, although I knew it already, I really saw today how cunning (read: unbelievably cruel) the Spanish conquistadores were to those poor Mexicanos. Here's an excerpt from the "Cantares Mexicanos" (Mexican Songs) that was engraved into one of the walls:
| From La Ciudad de México |
(rough) Translation:
This is our glory.
This is your command.
Oh, giver of life!
You hold the present. Oh princes.
Do not forget it [us].
Who could besiege Tenochtitlan?
Who could besiege the foundations of heaven...?
With our arrows.
With our shields.
The city exists.
Mexico-Tenochtitlan survives!
It makes me sad for some reason. It is full of desperation and yet exceedingly hopeful and confident at the same time.
Anyway, after the museum and some awesome Japanese food (the prof's wife is Japanese, so I knew I could depend on them for a good Japanese restaurant), we went a-walking around Mexico City. The pictures are all posted on Picasa (see the link on the right), but here's another example of the Spanish conquest.
| From La Ciudad de México |
This cathedral was built in the 1600's. But to add salt to the wound of the Aztec people, the Spaniards built it on top of the main (read: most important) Aztec burial site. Yes. They built it on top of the burial site. Unbelievably cruel. It just escapes me.
But, just so I don't leave you feeling depressed, you can look at some Christmas lights!
| From La Ciudad de México |
The whole main square in the city (where the afore-mentioned cathedral is as well as the offices of the government) was covered in Christmas lights. Lots of them. It puts Rockefeller Center to shame. And, in addition to the lights, you can also see tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of people all on the square at the same time. I kid you not. But, with a city of an estimated 20 million people, this is pretty easy to do.
Alright, time for sleep. Busy day of walking and climbing tomorrow at the pyramids.
¡Buenas Noches! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment