Monday, December 08, 2008

¡Teotihuacán!

As my pictures are currently uploading to Picasa, I'll start writing my report on the Mexican pyramids.

If you're looking for some exercise outside of Mexico City, Teotihuacan is the place for you. Even if you don't climb the pyramids... wait, why wouldn't you?... there's still plenty of walking to be had. Still, it is pretty awesome. I'll post some highlights below, but the rest are on my Picasa. (Really, you should know how this works by now...)

From La Ciudad de México

First, the formidable Pyramid of the Sun. Not for the faint-hearted. Those stairs are many and steep. But it's worth the excessive cardio workout to climb to the top. Not only is the view gorgeous, but it's something you can say you did. So cross that one off my list.

It'd be a fair assumption that the decline from the zenith of the Pyramid of the Sun would be easy. But, again, those stairs are steep and are not any easier on the way down. Luckily there's a nice stroll along the Avenue of the Dead on your way to the smaller yet still impressive Pyramid of the Moon.

From La Ciudad de México

(I suddenly feel like a tour guide...)

Sadly, one can only ascent half way up the Pyramid of the Moon. I don't know why, but those are the rules. I imagine the poor Pyramid of the Moon doesn't get the glory and fame that the Pyramid of the Sun does, but it still holds some impressive views.

From La Ciudad de México

Of course it's important to remember that there's more than just the Pyramids to keep your attention. The whole Avenue of the Dead holds the ruins of the homes of the elite Teotihuacan residents. And they also give a good idea how much these people liked stairs.

From La Ciudad de México


To see more, again, you know what to do.

To end our day we made a quick stop at the Basilica of our Lady of Guadalupe. In case you're not fresh on your Mexican-Catholic history, the Basilica commemorates the miraculous manifestation of the Virgin Mary as Guadalupe. And, seeing as this Friday is the official Feast day of Guadalupe, there were lots o' people there. I mean lots. Not being Catholic, it probably didn't have the same effect on me. But it's still cool to see some religious artifacts. The current Basilica is actually next door to the 'original' (ancient) Basilica, but this one is under construction and there sadly is not much to see.

And thus ended our Sunday in Mexico City. It was good times, but I am very tired. And quietly cursing those stairs...

¡Adios! :)

No comments: